My Zimbio
KudoSurf Me!
Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, April 3, 2007

The 12th

I ran into a guy the other day that I know. The scene really sent chills down my back. He smelled like whiskey and his hands shook so badly that you would have thought that he had Parkinson's disease.

It really sent me back to before I quit drinking. I remember always having my arms folded in a defiant stance. I suppose that it showed "Power", but I was only trying to hide my hands. No matter what I did I could not stop them from shaking.

I've been sober for about 4 years now and have never had the opportunity to talk to an alcoholic that was nearing the bottom.

It wasn't what I had expected at all. I thought there would either be angry yells, or tearful hugs. I did not expect detached admittance. I suppose, for me, this was best...as if that's what matters here.

He said that he would cut back his drinking. Actually what he said is that he knew that he couldn't cut back, but that was going to be his first step.

We talked some about the fallacy of "admitting" being the first step. Sure, it's part of it. Admitting that you are powerless over alcohol is the first step.

I'm going to get him some AA information. He said that he'd be very interested in going to a meeting with me.

It was a great experience for me and he knows where to turn to when he figures it all out.

Johnny

No comments: